Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Where Have We Been?


View of the Coastal Range from Mary's Peak.


You are all probably wondering where we have been and even if we are still alive! The answer to the latter question is "BARELY!" We've had a fun but crazy month traveling across the country and moving in to our home here in Corvallis (which we absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!) It has been so nice to unpack boxes and to find a place for everything knowing that we don't have to move again in a year or two. We love our neighbors, our neighborhood, being in our own home and having a yard that Mark loves to mow. But who knew home ownership would be so much work?!

This place is so beautiful. Everything grows here! Every type of flower and tree (yes, I've even seen a palm tree) and berries, berries, berries. Raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, marionberries, cherries. Mark has been whipping up different shakes each night. He's such a berry fanatic. You can buy the berries at the farmer's market or you can go to the berry farms and pick them yourself!

So, I don't know where to even begin to sum up this past month. Mark made the long drive from Columbia, SC with his Dad in two and a half days (just shy of 2200 miles) while my mother-in-law helped me fly with all three kiddies! All of them did amazingly well on the flight and needless to say...we survived! We spent a week in Logan seeing family and then Mark and I drove up to Oregon with the kids. I spent the majority of the drive sitting between the twins' car seats feeding and entertaining babies. We moved into our home on one of the hottest days on record here in Corvallis with no air conditioning. We had to make an emergency run to Kmart to buy fans that we clipped to the babies cribs so they could have some relief from the heat and sleep that first night! I am happy to say that we now have A/C. For the most part, however, the weather has been perfect here.

Mark has been working for three weeks now and is loving the office, his patients, and the work. They have kept him very busy and he is so happy to be where he is at. My mom flew out last week to help us pull our house together (which has been hard for us to do with Mark starting work so early and me chasing three little ones around). We took her to the coast and the county fair (Yee-haw). We had such a great time with her! She was such a great help and even gave Mark and I a night off to celebrate our 7th Anniversary! We went to a fancy-schmancy restaurant called Strega that had great food and a great view of the city and then went to see "The Dark Knight." It was such a fun night! I had almost forgotten what it felt like to be with Mark alone, and no kids!

So here we are! We have met so many wonderful people and we can already tell that we are going to love raising our family here. It feels like home already!

Below are pictures of some of our adventures so far here in Oregon.

Bike Valet at the Da Vinci Days Festival. This is a very eco friendly town. I guess I'm going to have to get
myself a bike.



One of the events at Da Vinci Days is what they call the kinetic sculpture competition. These machines (or whatever you call them) are all human-powered and have to be able to make it over sand dunes, through mud and be able to float in the river (although I don't think some of them could float). They do this every year! This city if full of engineers that love nothing more than coming up with stuff like this!



Fun day out in Newport at the Oregon Coast Aquarium. We drove up the coast to a town called Lincoln City and hit the outlets. We stopped at Moe's on the way home for some clam chowder and fish 'n chips.

Pretty, but not quite your South Carolina beaches.

Macy at the Benton County Fair! She LOVED the animals and the rodeo!

My cute mom eating some famous Tillamook ice cream.

Macy going on her first ever roller coaster ride! She wasn't scared one bit!
Mark and I on the balcony at Strega where we had dinner celebrating our 7th anniversary! I'm still crazy over this boy!

Nicholas and Karlee eating their toes! They now have their two bottom front teeth and are chewing on everything!

I think that is everything in a nutshell!

19 comments:

Alyssa said...

Love the toe eating pic--too cute! Yeah, Al and I saw something on 2020 or something about how Oregon is very Bike friendly, they featured Portland in particular--we commented that Mark will love having a bike friendly city! Wow, I can't believe you guys are already touring around when you've only been there for a month. We're SO happy that Mark is loving his job. That's so great that you're loving everything about your house, neighborhood etc. I really can't wait for that feeling--of getting to put something away in my own house, knowing it won't be moved for many years to come! We miss you guys a bunch and can't wait to see y'all again!! Give me a call one of these days.

Ellen said...

Hooray! I'm so glad that you made it! Sounds like you guys are having a blast! (And that Tilamook ice cream really IS something, isn't it? We used to go to the factory every year!) That toe eating pic is seriously classic! And I can't believe how big Macy is getting! Ohio still misses you guys!

Joni said...

Congrats on everything. what a busy time! I'm so happy for you and all the "settling down" you get to do. My brother lives in Portland, so we'll be sure to come visit you guys some time on the way!

You're all Gorgeous!

Malinovka said...

HOORAY! I'm so glad you are loving your house and getting settled, that you and Mark had a great 7th anniversary and that the kids are well and growing!! I hope we get to come see you next summer when we're planning on being in Washington state. Can't wait to see what other hidden gems are in Corvallis!

The Tureks said...

YAY! I am so happy that you all love your house, neighborhood, and everything else about Oregon. We are happy for Mark and his real job too. :-) Macy seems to have grown up even more in the short time you all have been gone. She has become such a cute little girl. Nicholas and Karlee are cute as usual especially chewing on the feet. I am lucky that you guys are back to the blog so we can keep up with you all...I was starting to get worried. We miss you all so much but are so happy for this time in your lives.

emilyy said...

OMG(osh) How beautiful is your new place? I havve always wanted to go to Oregon, so maybe you will have visitors. I loved all the pics you posted. Glad you are getting settled. Good luck with everything.

The Teeples said...

Wow! It looks beautiful there. I am so glad you guys love it and that you are starting to feel settled. You guys both deserve the very best.

I will look forward to all of your adventures and seeing your beautiful kids grow up before my eyes and the both of you just getting younger and younger.

Love ya,
Heather :)

Laura said...

What a beautiful place! Glad you guys made it ok. I was trimming Magei's hair the other day, and she said she wanted it to look just like yours!

Em said...

Wow. What a busy last while you guys have had. Happy Anniversary! It's great to hear that you are all doing so well and loving your new area. The city sounds amazing. And I'm hoping you're gonna post pictures of your cute place when you're all done setting it up!

Jess.Pollard said...

TEETH! already...Griff hasn't even starting thinking about teeth! Lez is keeping me updated on you all, so glad you are HOME and liking your new area.

Kim L said...

I am so glad you are all doing so well! I looks like such a beautiful place! And the kids look like they are really enjoying it! I hope to keep in touch with you all!

Darin and Joanna said...

I'm glad you guys made it safely to your new home! It looks beautiful! You guys have been able to live in such fun places! My sis did tell me you guys ran into each other in Burley....that was so random! I wish it would have been us instead! It would have been fun to see you! I have told Darin for a long time I would love to take the kids to the Oregon coast...his parents lived in Corvalis while his dad went to school there...maybe we will have to take a trip up there and say hello! Take care and have fun getting settled!

Katrina said...

I'm so glad that you guys made it to Oregan and are feeling settled. Russ and I were just talking yesterday about wanting to be settled and be a "normal" family, not having to move again for schooling. We are getting trunky for the West and we still have two years to go! It looks like you guys are loving Corvallis - they are lucky to have you guys! I wish you were a little closer, but hopefully we will see you if you come to Logan to visit family. You guys are such great people and friends! Good luck with everything!!

Krissy said...

Hi Lindsey - we were just out at Newport a few weeks ago and we drove back through Corvallis on Sunday. We were wishing we had your number so we could see you. It's probably better since we were smelly and smoky from camping. We'd love to see you guys sometime. We're just east an hour or so in Redmond.While we were in Newport we ran into a family that lived in Columbus and just moved to Salem, I can't think of their names right now but they were in the Westland ward.I'm glad you are enjoying OR. I found your blog a few months ago and was happy to hear you'd be moving here.I think I still have your email, I'll check so I can get your phone number. I'm sure we'll go out to the coast again before summer's over. Oh and congrats on the twins, you look like you're handling being outnumbered beautifully!

emandtrev said...

Congrats on your move! Corvallis looks great--I'm sure you guys will feel right at home in no time at all! It was so fun to see you at Macey's. You and yours are beautiful!

Ruth said...

Linds, I cannot believe it is real....you survived the move and even have enough time to blog about it! You are amazing and I miss you tons. Oregon looks incredible, and I am so happy that you are loving it. You guys could fit in anywhere because lets face it, people love you! NM is treating us well, but man, to have all that green!

Ruth said...

Oh, and I am so sad we missed you in Utah. We will have to catch up at Christmas!

Julia said...

What darling kids! It's Julia Conger...we went to HS and Jerusalem together. My husband is in dental school too (one year to go) and I have always wanted twins. I have two that are very close and everyone thinks they are. Anyway. Cute family!

Heather said...

Lindsey, it looks amazing in Corvallis! We're still due for two more dreary Columbus winters, but then Rick will be searching for a good ophthalmology practice (general). We may have to question you further to see if Corvallis might be the place for us too! Say hi to the family for us.
Heather Whitehead