Thursday, April 15, 2010

And so the fun begins...



Today was our first official day of potty training. Karlee has been showing all of the signs (telling me that she's pottied in her diaper, wanting to sit on the potty after the fact and going through all the motions--wadding up mounds of toilet paper, wiping, flushing and washing hands). So, I was thinking I should run with it. On Tuesday, I bought all the goods: the Princess and Cars underwear, the Elmo Potty Movie, the gummy bears. I had all morning with no where to be so I said to myself, "Let's do this thing!" Believe me, it's a day I've been dreading for a very long time. Seriously, potty training has to be the worst part of motherhood. It don't have the patience for it. But today, I put on my happy, cheerleading face and was the biggest fan ever!

It turned out to be a huge sucess. There were no accidents and Karlee even went twice. Her face completely lit up when it all came together the very first time. She got it! We made a huge deal out of it....clapped, danced around... ate treats. She loved it! Nicholas was very apprehensive about the whole thing until I brought out the jar of gummy bears, then he was all for it. This was the first day I have even got this kid to come close to the potty! Now, I just have to figure out how to get him to want to wear underwear. He prefers his diaper. It'll come, but I have a feeling it will be slow going with him. Macy has a been a huge help too! She has entitled herself to gummy bears for helping.

So, hurray for today! This potty training thing just might be okay! At least, I have a glimmer of hope that wasn't there before.



9 comments:

Whitney B. Balls said...

Oh potty training...I am totally with you I dislike it very much. You are my hero potty training twins...a boy and a girl at the same time. Best of luck with it all! Plus those are some dang cute pictures!

Darin and Joanna said...

Your a brave woman! My boys weren't ready until 3. Myah is showing the signs, but I am trying to convince myself I am ready! Good luck!

Joni said...

Yeah, potty training twins would be a challenge, to say the least.

I would think that they may not pick up on it at exactly the same time. T potty trained (age wise) 8 months earlier than R did. Gender definitely plays a role.

Good luck, Lady! I'll be your cheerleader!

Justin & Ashlee said...

Good luck with the potty training! I'm kind of on that path with Rylee too...hang in there :)

Malinovka said...

Way to go, Linds! I hope every day of the next few weeks will go just as well as today! :) If only....right?! Yes, potty training is the WORST part of motherhood so far, but it seems to be some sort of rite of passage too. Good luck, and hang in there!!

Jillian said...

I HATE potty training. It is the worst part of motherhood! I think you are awesome for going at it. I keep thinking maybe tomorrow I will start and next thing you know weeks have gone by. The one good thing out of it it all is not having to change diapers or pay for them. Good Luck and thanks for the motivation! You are awesome!

Michelle H. said...

It looks like you are doing a great job! I am going to need a lot of pointers in a few months when we give it a try.

Katrina said...

You are brave. I am not even beginning to think about potty training with Garrett. He will go occasionlly on the potty, but with a move coming in two months, I am not even going to try. And, honestly, the thought of potty training again makes me a little sick to my stomach! Hope you guys are doing well. You sure have a darling family!

Aunt Suzi Quilts said...

I've got twin girls, and this has motivated me to JUST DO IT! thanks.