Monday, May 4, 2009

Good Southern Cookin'

We hosted dinner club at our house Saturday night and wanted to expose these Northwesterners to some good southern BBQ. We had pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw and some homemade sauces (compliments of Al & Alyssa Mackelprang) that were all the rave! I made cornbread and banana pudding and freshly squeezed lemonade. Others in the group contributed baked beans, homemade Macaroni & Cheese and fried Okra. It was all so delicious and took us back to our days in South Carolina. We miss you guys... and the food!

Mark's co-worker at the children's clinic in South Carolina shared her famous banana pudding recipe with us! Thanks, Donna! It was my personal favorite dish of the night!

Banana Pudding Recipe:
1 (8 oz) container of Cool Whip thawed
2 cups milk
1 (5 oz) pkg of Instant Vanilla pudding
1 (8oz) container of Sour Cream
1 box Vanilla Wafers
4-6 Bananas
1 Hershey bar

Stir milk and pudding mix together. Add your sour cream and cool whip. Alternate layers of vanilla wafers, bananas and pudding mix in a 9 by 13 glass dish. End with pudding on top. Add chocolate shavings. Chill. Delicious!


A little, red "spicey" BBQ sauce and Al's original Maple Mustard Sauce. They both turned out just perfect and were oh, soooo good!

10 comments:

Hey, It's me...Jessica said...

Wow! That sounds so delicious!

Now I can't wait to try the southern cookin' when we move to Georgia!

Dinner group looks like a lot of fun!

Kellie said...

That pudding looks great, will you share that recipe with me? Where are your kids at dinner group? Were they hiding, or did you get a babysitter?

The Toole Family said...

Glad that you were able to have some fun southern stuff. Looks like you had fun. We miss you lots... I am working on getting lots done this week as I go back to work on Monday.. fun fun.

Jamie said...

You are always busy, aren't you? Will you let me know how the dinner group works? I can't wait to try the pudding recipe. Rog doesn't like banannas, so I guess I will have to eat most of it myself. Shucks!

Alyssa said...

Glad it turned out well and that everyone loved the sauces! Sounds like you had quite the delicious spread!

Lori said...

That makes me so hungry! The sauces sound so good too, you should share those recipes! I love BBQ! We miss you guys, come see us in AK sometime soon!

emandtrev said...

This reminds me of how much I miss the food in the South!!

Brad and Lezlee Strong said...

Lindz! You are turning into Betty Crocker! Can't wait to try that banana bliss! I love you and Mark. No matter where you go you are always making friends so fast and doing such fun things! You are amazing lindz and I miss living by you so bad! You are so talented and Oregon is lucky to have you guys! Love ya! PS. LOVE THE Archuletta CD! Thanks again! You are the sweetest sister!

Ben and Michelle said...

Looks delicious!! I am going to attempt to make the pudding recipe. Seriously i am not the best cook and I somehow always find a way to mess things up. So I will try!! Wish me luck! :)

Rachael said...

That banana pudding looks delicious. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for the recipe.
...Rach